Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze [Menu]



DSC_0170


There is nothing like a moist, delicious double-layer cake slathered in buttercream frosting. But, if you're anything like me, you don't have time to make anything like that on an everyday basis. I work. I go to college. I have familial obligations. I need to cook. I need to clean. I'm lucky to have friends as busy as I am or I doubt anyone would put up with my schedule.

That being said, I think it's very important to have something special in the house to come home to as often as possible. I'm not sure why.. I guess it makes a chaotic home feel more at peace to me. So that's why, now-a-days, I really like "quick" cakes and cookies. Don't get me wrong. I will always prefer an "all-day" cake or meal, but sometimes those "busy day" cakes (as my mother calls them) can be just as awesome after a full week of work.



DSC_0149


Stumble Upon has become one of my greatest friends during late-night downtime. You can find the most amazing food blogs and sites. And that's exactly how I found this gem. And I do mean gem.



DSC_0153

DSC_0158


This is absolutely the quickest cake you could possibly make. All together, I spent, maybe, about 10 minutes in the kitchen. And it's a really good cake. It's true that it's semi-homemade (I used "Moist Supreme" mix from Pillsbury, for those who are wondering), which I'm not usually a huge fan of, but it doesn't taste like it. And it's only two ingredients! How can you pass that up?

It's a fantastic, fast cake for Fall. And you might as well try it! More than likely, you already have everything you need in the pantry.



DSC_0169


Recipe Ahead!





Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze
Adapted from Noble Pig

You Will Need…
A large bowl
A small bowl
Cooking (or baking) spray
An electric mixer
Measuring cups and spoons
9" x 13" glass (or metal) casserole dish
A rubber spatula
A fork
+
1 Yellow Cake Mix (I suggest using a "moist" mix - like Pillsbury)
1 (15 oz.) can of pumpkin puree
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp apple cider
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

I've made a couple changes from the original recipe to suit our tastes (and our available equipment), but how it comes together is the same.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and emptying the contents of the boxed cake mix and the pumpkin puree into a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat until well mixed. This cake batter will be quite thick, but it will come together nicely.

Scrape batter into a greased 9" x 13" glass pan. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes. It's important to not over bake this cake. (Do not overbake!) This cake's beauty is in the texture - so bake until a toothpick comes out clean and no longer.
Once out of the oven, let the cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Then you can either leave it in the pan (what we do) or you can turn it out onto a platter for a nicer presentation.

Now for the thing that makes this cake really delicious: Make the glaze!
Combine the powdered sugar, apple cider, and pumpkin pie spice with a fork in a small bowl. The glaze should, ultimately, be thick but easily poured. Pour 3/4 of the glaze over the top of the cake while it's still warm and keep 1/4 off to the side to pour over individual slices when served. If you're like me, you like cake cold. But this cake's great warm - so dive right in! :]

4 comments :

Manda said...

yummmmm......that looks amazing. definitely going to make it sometime this week. :3

Beth said...

Yay! You'll have to let me know how it comes out and if you like it. (Matt has already managed to demolish about half of it since yesterday. haha)

Donna said...

just back reading your blog:) So glad I found it! As a true lover of fall, this cake is making my heart leap;) hahahahahaha....can't wait to try it out!

Beth said...

@Donna Thank you for coming back to read! I hope you do try it out! I'd love to hear how it comes out for you. It's a ridiculously simple recipe, but it's so delicious! <3