Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Vegan Sweet Potato Quesadillas [Menu]

Vegan Sweet Potato Quesadillas

I've gotten rid of nearly all my magazine subscriptions. We used to hear monthly (bi-monthly?) from several throughout the year. I still love Saveur and Lucky Peach, National Geographic still has a warm place in Matt's heart (my parents generously offer it to him every year and he gladly takes it), and I really do enjoy a good In Style. However, while trying to rid myself of clutter in our abode, I've unsubscribed to nearly every periodical that comes through our door... All except for one: Vegetarian Times. I don't know what it is about this publication, but I suppose it's because I love the articles, it's fairly cheap, and I don't feel bad keeping it around because I actually read it on time!

A while ago, Carol and I were looking for something to make. It needed to be vegetarian (me) and cheesy (her), and it had to be fairly fast. Well, the recipe we found didn't put dinner on the table instantaneously, but we were pleased with what we found in the back of a small, pillowy-covered book, aptly named "Vegetarian Recipes." No mystery with that one!

So you'll imagine my surprise to see it fully rehashed in Vegetarian Times in the April / May 2014 issues. Not that I'm complaining! I'm not sure who thought of it first, but I'm glad someone did. I've made it three times now, and it's not failed me yet. Even my wonderful, supportive Matt, happy to try a veggie recipe or two but largely carnivorous, gave them his seal of approval! So if you're having trouble finding one meal for everyone at the table (don't you hate making multiple dishes), this one might be worth a shot. All you need to do is look at this very candid shot of Matt after trying the first bite! Aren't candids the best? I think he was saying, "oh wow! That's actually really good!" 
I'll take it! 



Sweet Potato Quesadillas - Get in mah belly.


Recipe Ahead!

(Vegan) Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Adapted from Vegetarian Times, April / May 2014 Issue
Yields ~ 4 healthy-sized quesadillas

Ingredients

  • 1.5 Tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 1 Small - Medium Onion, Chopped 
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced (2 tsp)
  • 3 C. Grated Sweet Potatoes (or as much as one large potato will yield)
  • 1 Medium Jalapeno Chile, Minced 
  • 2 tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1 C. Fresh or Frozen Corn Kernels
  • 4 (8") Flour Tortillas
  • Optional: 1/2 C. Shredded cheese (veggie or otherwise, depending on your personal feelings)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic (season with salt, if desired). Cook, covered, stirring often:  8 minutes. 

Sweet Potato Quesadillas - Spices

Add grated sweet potatoes, minced jalapeno, cumin, cinnamon, and oregano; cover, and cook 10 minutes, stirring often.

Stir in corn, and cook 2 - 3 minutes, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.

    Sweet Potato Quesadillas - Mixture

    Spread 1/2 cup of filling on one-half of each tortilla, leaving 1/2" border around edges. If you are using cheese, sprinkle about 2 Tbsp on one side, put filling on top, then top with 2 more Tbsp of cheese. Fold tortillas to enclose filling. (If not using cheese, brush a small amount of oil along the bottom inside edge to get the tortilla to stick together.)

    Sweet Potato Quesadillas - Grill

    Coat (different) large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook quesadillas in skillet about three minutes per side, turning once. You're looking for a golden-brown color and a crisp outer layer.

    Serve with salsa or sour cream and enjoy! 

    -------

    Nutritional Information

    1 Quesadilla
    Calories: 355
    Total Fat: 12 g (2 g sat fat)
    Total Carbs: 57 g 
    Protein: 8 g
    Fiber: 6 g
    Sugars: 9 g
    Sodium: 503 mg
    Estimated WW Value: 10 Points(+)

    No comments :